Saturday, April 5, 2008

Spring Break Cooking

So, I didn't do everything I wanted to during my break. I did do most of the laundry, tidied the office, and did the cooking. So here's what I ended up making: Grilled Salted Salmon Collar. My mom's recipe for kama on the grill.
Sunomono from Let's Cook Japanese Food! I added the wakame. I love the color of the cucumbers. They're so vibrantly green! They're the Japanese cucumbers I found at the Tokyo Fish Market in Berkeley.
Pork Tonkatsu and Tokyo Negi Katsu on Skewers from Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking. Having them on skewers is for presentation only. The negi smelled so good when it was frying, and it tasted just as good.
The ingredients for my mom's potato salad. I used those colorful potatoes from the Farmers' Market. Recognize the color of the cucumbers? Those are the Japanese cucumbers again. I'm so pleased with myself that I finally used cucumbers before they went bad.
Mom's Japanese-Style Potato Salad.
Japanese-Style Squid Salad from Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking. This dish was awful! The dressing was so salty! Even as I was making it, I thought, "Man. It's going to be really salty... Well, let's see..." The squid was good, but the dressing... Oh man. We ate the squid with the red butter lettuce we got from the Farmers' Market. We ate that with Nasu no Soboro Ankake (Eggplant with Gingery Chicken Sauce) from Let's Cook Japanese Food! This was an ugly dish but the flavor was good. It's a ground chicken sauce that goes on top of the eggplant. It's ugly because there's no other color to the chicken. It's just brown ground chicken. The next time I make this, I'm going to add green onion or Thai basil and water chestnut for texture. The flavor is light. I think I'll make a batch of this and freeze it in portions to have for my bentos for work.
The ingredients for Toriniku no Misoyaki (Chicken Grilled with Miso Glaze) from Let's Cook Japanese Food!
Toriniku no Misoyaki. Oops. Got a little burnt.
Cute little balls of chicken ready to be cooked for...
Toriniku Dango no Amasu An (Chicken Meatballs with Sweet Vinegar Glaze) from Let's Cook Japanese Food! This came out so good! I'll make this again. This recipe can be used to make tsukune. The ground chicken put on a stick and grilled like the izakaya places.

4 comments:

Hakka House said...

What a feast!!! Your hubby is one lucky man, unlike mine ... haha ...

bananami said...

Oh no. I feel bad that he has to eat my experiments with these new recipes I try. :p

Anonymous said...

Japanese Style Potato salad?? It sound super intriguing? would you mind sharing the recipe or is it protected?

-myles

bananami said...

Hi. The difference I noticed growing up is that the American version I know of from the supermarkets are tangy due to vinegar or relish they mix in. The Japanese kind normally isn't. I remember when I had the American kind, I thought that the mayo had gone bad or something. There are some versions that merge the two together though. So, they may have some vinegar or mustard in it but have typical Japanese ingredients like apples or wasabi mixed in there. Well, the version I grew up with doesn't have a recipe. Everything's just to taste. So here's an approximate recipe:

Mom's Japanese-Style Potato Salad
3 Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 carrot, peeled and medium sliced into discs
1/2 cucumber (Japanese or English), thinly sliced into discs
1/2 Fuji apple, cored, quartered and sliced
1 egg
1 cup mayo (Japanese or American)
salt and pepper

Boil the potatoes first, then the carrots and the egg together until the egg is hard-boiled in its shell. The potatoes should be cooked through but still holding its cube shape. It shouldn't be so soft that when you mix everything together, it becomes smashed potatoes. You want to put the carrots in later, because they are thinner and will cook faster.

Salt the cucumber slices and leave them in a colander sitting over a bowl or plate for 15 min. until the water comes out. Then, rinse off the salt and squeeze the remaining water out of the cucumbers with your hands.

When the potatoes and carrots are done, drain, and put in a large bowl.

Peel the egg and chop the white. Save the yolk ball for garnish.

Mix together the potatoes, carrots, egg white, cucumber, and apples with the mayo. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Transfer the potato salad to your serving bowl. Crumble the egg yolk onto the top of it.

My mom has made this recipe with other variations learned from her friends like adding raisins, onions, or ham. But we're happy eating it our way without those things.

Let me know if you like it!