Sunday, January 20, 2008

Thai Food!!

I have been craving for Thai food again. On Thursday, I made pad thai using the Thai Kitchen brand. I never used this brand before until I got a Thai cookbook (called Simply Thai) and wanted to make green curry. I was going all over the place looking for green curry paste. I always passed by the Thai Kitchen brand because it just looked cheesy... You know... Not authentic. But because of my craving, I bought it and made the green curry with eggplant. That's how they make it at one of my favorite Thai places: Saladang in Pasadena. Anyways, it was so good! I made it again another time; and again tonight. It turned out that my sister makes them, too. But she said that she makes it with chicken and potatoes. And she cooks all the ingredients first and then mixes it with the curry. So I tried that today. It came out pretty good. The color... Not so much. I think cooking the eggplant ahead of time may have been a bad idea because the dark purple color kinda made the curry unpleasantly dark. I like serving the curry in the fondue set. It makes it more special.
So what was I talking about? Oh, the pad thai. It came out pretty good. I think next time I need to drain out the juice from the shrimp and chicken that I added to the noodle. It make the noodle kinda mushy. Also, I would squeeze some lime juice on it and some extra spiciness. The Thai Kitchen pad thai sauce just needed that punch in flavor. I wish I took a photo of it!

Well, tomorrow, I'm going to use the leftover rice noodles and make Spicy Thai Noodles and the Chicken Coconut Soup from the Simply Thai cookbook. I'm hoping that by looking at the ingredients for the Spicy Thai Noodle that it is the recipe for pad kee mao. It's my husband's favorite Thai noodle dish. The best place that makes this is Thai Basil in Fullerton. It's our other favorite Thai place. We compare all Thai places in the Bay Area to this one. Each time we're in town, we try to go. It's always good there. The last time we went was for New Year's Eve. We tried a new dish with eggplant, tofu, and basil. It was so good!! We also had their coconut soup. It was very yummy. We have been really into the coconut soup. I love the lemongrass flavor in it. So that's why I'm going to make it tomorrow.

Thai Basil's Eggplant & Tofu with Basil - I can't remember what it's called. So yummy!!

The Pad Kee Mao with pork.

The Lemongrass Coconut Soup.

No comments: