Sunday, May 10, 2009

Clothespin Dolls

Hello! I wonder if anyone checks this blog once in awhile. Geez. It's been over an year! Anyways... I'm just going to dive into blogging again.

So, tomorrow, I plan to introduce their new Inquiry project to my fifth-graders. They have to imagine that they are living during the time of the US Westward Expansion in the late 1700s to the late 1800s. They are to write a friendly letter to someone as if they are a miner, farmer, slave, Native American, Chinese immigrant working on the Transcontinental Railroad, etc. Then, they are to make a doll dressed in that time period using a wooden clothespin. For Open House, they're going to display it like we have an artifact exhibit. Neat, huh? I think the kids will like it.

I made two examples for them. One is a pioneer woman, and the other is a slave. I need to give him props though.

No comments: