Sunday, May 24, 2009

Gyudon

My brother-in-law apparently loves and makes gyudon. So, Hubby asked if I had it before or know how to make it. It's weird, I don't think I ever had it. I think my mom makes butaniku no shogayaki (ginger pork) with rice. And if we eat thin-sliced beef, it's often made into beef teriyaki eaten with rice. When I looked into the recipe for gyudon, I noticed that the ingredients are similar to beef teriyaki, which I suspected, but the portions are not. I used Amy Kaneko's Let's Cook Japanese Food! again for it. The flavor was good; very subtle flavor. But the beef itself was tough. I've had bad luck buying sliced meat at this particular store before... So note to self: Buy sliced meat there only if you have to. Anyways... here's a photo of it with a side of spinach goma-ae.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have to buy softer meat or let the meat simmer for a couple hours. I let my Gyudon simmer for about 10 hours in the slow cooker and the meat melted like tofu.